FarmPolicy

January 29, 2020

Des Moines Register: No more guessing: It’s time to see results of drought

Video from The Des Moines Register- Nervous farmers get going on Iowa’s earliest corn harvest in 24 years.

kg

FAO Food Price Index holds steady

A news release today from the from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) stated that, “The FAO Food Price Index averaged 213 points in August 2012, unchanged from July.

“Presenting the Index at a press conference at FAO headquarters in Rome, Director-General José Graziano da Silva said ‘This is reassuring. Although we should remain vigilant, current prices do not justify talk of a world food crisis. But the international community can and should move to calm markets further,’ he added.

“The FAO Food Price Index spiked six percent in July after three months of decline.”

kg

ERS Report: Household Food Security in the United States in 2011

Categories: Nutrition

Yesterday the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Economic Research Service (ERS) released a report titled, “Household Food Security in the United States in 2011.”

The ERS report indicated that, ” “An estimated 85.1 percent of American households were food secure throughout the entire year in 2011, meaning that they had access at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. The remaining households (14.9 percent) were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 5.7 percent with very low food security—meaning that the food intake of one or more household members was reduced and their eating patterns were disrupted at times during the year because the household lacked money and other resources for food. The prevalence rate of very low food security increased from 5.4 percent in 2010, returning to the level observed in 2008 and 2009. The change in food insecurity overall (from 14.5 percent in 2010) was not statistically significant.”

ERS also provided additional statistics & graphics related to yesterday’s Food Security report, including the following:

kg

Farm Bill; Biofuels; Ag Economy; Trade; Budget; and, MF Global

Farm Bill- Policy Issues, Crop Insurance

David Shepardson reported yesterday at The Detroit News Online that, “Sen. Debbie Stabenow says she is optimistic Congress will pass disaster assistance for farmers facing a record drought if the House doesn’t approve a farm bill.

“The Lansing Democrat and chair of the Senate Agriculture Committee said she’s been working during the congressional recess to try to get the House to act on farm reform legislation.”

(more…)

Vilsack: America’s Heartland is Voting for Obama

Categories: Rural America

From The Wall Street Journal: Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack tells attendees at the Democratic National Convention how much work President Barack Obama has done for rural families, farmers, and small business owners.

kg